Monday, February 1, 2010

Day 8- Still lots to do

Another night without much sleep, it was dogs fighting that kept me up most of the night again. Need to remember to bring earplugs if I ever come back here. Think I'm going to take Ronda's advice and drink a bunch of rum tonight!
This morning the woman with the crushed foot came for followup, it looked a lot better today. We also recasted one of the workers who broke her arm a few weeks ago.
Then we headed to the hospital, had a bunch of cases today. Started off by fixing the woman with an amputation on one side and a broken femur on the other leg. Hector took an extra finger off a kid. We did 2 amputations today, one was done by one of the new guys, he is very brash and cocky, aparently he rushed through the case and ended up having to go back to the or to find vessels that were bleeding. He also tried to reduce a 3 week old shoulder dislocation. As you can guess it didn't work, he just tortured the poor guy. It is surgeons like this guy that give us a bad reputation. I think he means well but is trying too hard to be the hero. I have been trying to teach dr alexi as much as I can, I try to help him and show him the tricks I know, he has taught me a lot too! We spent a long time in fracture clinic today too. We ran out of plaster at one point and everything came to a grinding halt. The staff just left and we waited over an hour for the supply depot to open up so we could get more stuff. It is obvious to me that there will be many mal unions to deal with down the road. Although I amazed with how stoic these hatians can be. We are still seeing people coming from PoP with untreated injuries, but it has slowed down considerably. We made rounds in the wards today too, we were able to send some people home. But many people have no where to go so they just stay in the hospital. It is amazing how patients are not mobilized, they lay in bed with a foley catheter and an iv with an empty bottle of fluid. It is a status symbol to be in the hospital with all of those tubes coming out of you.
We are still having issues with patients not getting meds. We have taken to giving patients a baggie of meds after surgery so they don't have to deal with the nurses.
Cynthia was able to talk to the health minister today, he doesn't think they need another group of surgeons, he feels like they are caught up and all they need help with is post op care. I'm not so sure that they are out of the woods yet. I agree that there is a lot of wound care that needs to be done, but there will be more amputations to do and lots of skin grafting to do. .
I wonder how things are going closer to PoP, I Imagine it is much like here. Only a lot more patients.
I was hoping to go to PoP tomorrow to get medical supplies and check out the destruction, but the trip fell through. I am a bit disappointed but maybe I'll be able to go later this week.
We did pick up a bunch of rum on the way home tonight. I need to get some sleep tonight, we have another busy day tomorrow. Looks like we we be heading home Saturday!

If you have not been reading the comments I suggest you do. We all look forward to reading your comments. Nice to feel connected. Sorry if there are lots of typos I am doing all of this from my iPhone! Thane again to Sam and Irl for talking me into getting one.

7 comments:

  1. I can hear the frustration in your words. It must be driving you all crazy that you cannot do more for those folks post-op. And the fact that nurses there are not giving their patients their meds and perhaps selling them....incomprehensible. I cannot wrap my mind around that but then again...I am not there. Stay safe until Saturday. We all look so forward to seeing you when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. This is Karmen writing. my sister Heav wrote reminding me that Miss America was on last night(a program we always watched like a ritual) but I have to say hands down, the woman who is pictured in pink nightgown on yesterday 's post would win it all. We did her second of many surgeries today. With recently amputated r leg and badly fx'd l leg, she practically on own got herself onto surgical table gracefully and with a smile! Unrehearsed! She is one tough woman- all on just Tylenol.
    One other comment: I know I'm frustrated but there is a side of me that wants to tell everyone to not send aid to big operations- not because those industries are corrupt but that the system here is. Please give to small organizations that can manage the money/aid. We're finding that a lot of meds sent are resold and nurses, doctors, pharmacies are benefiting. So, we have taken the initiative to package up med packs of pain Meds and antibiotics to give to pts from our own stash. Nothing more satisfying than helping people and screwing the corrupt at the same time! Hope our supplies hold out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karmen, the corruption in Haiti is relentless and this disaster will exacerbate it. Konbit Sante in Cap Haitien is the organization I have given to, they have relationships in Cap and are a sustainable group. We are sending a doc and nurse every week to work at Justinian. Please don't be discouraged, when you return and reflect, this experience will be life altering.

    Steve, I drank 5 star Haitian Rum, on the rocks at night to sleep. I hope none of you have been sick with the GI stuff....if you get the least bit of rumbling in your stomach, start the cipro immediately. The damn dingo dogs carry on with the roosters, I swear....
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still cannot truly put into words how I feel reading your blogs. I am so glad you're doing this for us to see. I'm VERY glad to hear that you're giving med packs to the patients!!! That's a great idea! Among other great ideas is the rum.....you know I love the caribbean and that includes the rum!! I know Haiti is NOT the VI...but go with the rum!!! You all deserve it right now!!! Keep up the good work, sorry for the frustration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS Karmen, happy birthday tomorrow. Enjoy the Haitian coffee, some of the best coffee I have ever had, bold and strong. They sell it at local stores in Haiti for $2 a pound...fill your suitcase......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Dr. Katz and Karmen

    I am one of your patients at home waiting your home coming to have my own surgery. When I first heard you had gone to Hati the day before I was scheduled for shoulder surgery, I was devastated to think that I had to wait another two and a half weeks for my surgery. Now in reading your blog I see just how selfish I was. You all are doing an amazing thing and it just gives us here at home more confidence in you as Doctors. It takes a special person to what you are doing. I read you Blog every day and am just astounded by what is going on there. How sad.
    Hang in there… And know that we here at home are praying for you... Be Safe…

    Valerie Rankins

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karmen,
    It sounds like amazingly difficult work your doing, what an experience... the people of Haiti are lucky to have such wonderful doctors like yourself there to help them. Such a tragic time, at least you can bring comfort and peace to so many souls..

    Be safe and good luck in your travels.. hope to see you home soon!

    ReplyDelete