Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Day 9 - the pace slows

I want to thank Rhonda for the suggestion to use rum as a sleeping aid, had a full 8 hours of sleep last night. Going to load up again tonight!
Valarie I can't tell you how honored I feel to know you feel that way. I hope all my patients are so understanding. I hope all my patients know that I feel it is an honor that you put your trust in me to take care of you, and that even though I don't always have enough time with each of you, I strive to take care of each of you like one of my family.

Since today is Karmen's birthday I have asked her to write the first part of the blog.
Hi. It is my birthday! I told the Haitians I was turning 54 yrs old and they were impressed. Figured they are so beautiful and young looking that it wouldn't hurt to make myself look good.
All in all it was a good day . Not a normal "birthday" though not a big fan of my
birthday so was ok. The surgery line up has decreased which is good but was left to do were all sad surgeries. The last was the saddest of all. We had to tell this young man with a destroyed right arm that even with the work we were going to
do today, his arm would stll not work. Though we've seen many amps and disfigurment etc it was so hard to look into this young
man's eyes and tell him his arm was dead. I'm not sure what sank in. He had such trust in us "blanca" people in our blue scrubs that he thought we could turn anything into gold. Wish I had such faith.
I'm not sure what will happen to him. Best case this arm will be a functional paddle for him. I'll never forget his gentle voice and calm mindset in such an awful senerio.
So after that, we drove to a Mother Theresa covent that has taken in a lot of our post op pts and done a fantastic job with them. It was uplifting to see family members who had been trained properly in some basic PT moves that will improve their rehab significantly. It was so good to see our pts smiling, fed, and hydrated.
This covent normally takes care of babies born with various defects but has taken on these earthquake victims because they could . Seeing these babies was really hard but knowing they were in such capible hands helped. Who knew you could be a nun and a surgeon?! Between the young pilots working for Methodist missionaries that flew us into Haiti for free and these surgical nun doctors, my
highschool career counselor neglected to fill me in on so many possibilities!
Not that I would've chosen to be nun but a surgical nun is bit more appealing.
We drove couple mins from there to the water where we had a cold beverage at a beach bar which was a nice place to sit and bask in the nice breeze. Prestige- the local beer- was cold and refreshing even for a non-beer
drinker.
We returned to our oasis, the orphanage, and showered and got ready for dinner. After a very tasty dinner of mac and cheese they presented me with a birthday cake- complete with candles! It tasted so good and was so thoughtful, I almost cried. I'm so lucky to be with such caring people. I've been reminded of this multiple times each day during this trip. I think my 37th (no not 54th) year if off to a good start. Not where I thought I'd be spending my birthday but feel fortunate that I can be here doing what I can and learning from them all. Thank you all.

6 comments:

  1. Steve, I suspect the rum helped as a sleep aid, but after 9 days, emotional and physical exhaustion must have played a part. Just in case, imbibe again tonight....Thank you for what you are doing in Haiti. Karmen, you are so gracious and host the nicest sense of humor. Haitians have a healthy sense of humor as well and you are so right, beautiful people. The almond shaped eyes speak to you and through you. Though the young man will only have a 'paddle' he also has an intensified trust and love for God, for your work is the embodiment of that love. Don't under estimate the Haitian faith or rule of voudou!! Peace be with you all. I am so impressed no one has developed GI issues.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Carmen, and thank you Steve and the team for these daily blogs. Reading them has been so inspiring, and it is amazing the work you have been able to do for your patients and the community there. I hope you can feel the outpouring of support and gratitude from all of us back home about what you are doing. Sending you love and safe travels for your trip home. Lois

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Karmen! Kind of cool that two of you were able to celebrate your bdays in Haiti doing such hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you guys again for what you are doing there... I know that no matter what the outcome of your patients they will have been better for having such a caring, compassionate team to care for them... God Bless you all and enjoy the rum! Take the time to enjoy the warmth of the sun as well, for when you get back it will be back to reality! Snow, cold, etc! Take care & thank you for posting the blog. Words can't express how I feel reading it, but know that I am with you all in spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr. Katz, Dr. Rosquete & Karmen,
    Thank you!!! words cannot express how proud you have made us all. Your patients here have been supportive and understanding of your contributions to the people of Haiti. We know the people of Haiti are receiving the best of care and they will remember all you have done for them. Karmen, Happy Belated Birthday! 29 looks great on you!!
    Thank you for the daily blogs, they have been wonderful to read and allowed us to follow you on this tremendous, inspirational journey.
    We look forward to having you back home safely--

    God bless!
    love Your family and Friends @ COSM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dr. Katz and Happy Birthday Karmen!,
    I am one of your "home" patients and have been following your blog daily. Just wanted to tell you both that what the patients are going through just humbles me. And I think I have problems?? Thank you for showing me what grace, compassion and your wonderful attitudes are. Take care!

    ReplyDelete